Home
  |  About Us  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Policy  |  Online Banking Agreement  |  Contact Us  

Site Menu
PRODUCTS & SERVICES
  Online Banking
  Deposit Products
  Loan Products
  Business Banking
  Municipal Services
  Additional Services
RATES
  Deposit Rates
  Loan Rates
CALCULATORS
  Loan Calculators
  Savings Calculators
  Budgeting and Personal Finance Calculators
  Planning and Retirement Calculators
CONSUMER TIPS
  Fraud Prevention Tips
  Savings Tips
  Budgeting Tips
ABOUT
  Bank History
  Officers & Directors
  Contact Us

 
Bank History  
   
About Us  
The First National Bank of Groton has been proudly serving the area communities for over 140 years. The Bank is customer driven. Its very existence is based on customers finding value in the products and services being offered. The Bank prides itself by offering a superior level of personalized customer service. By maintaining a network of contacts through continued community involvement, the Bank is better able to ascertain the needs of the communities it serves and respond with appropriate products and services.  
   
History  
Bank building on the corner of Main and Mill Street
The First National Bank of Groton was formed in 1865 by Charles Perrigo, Dexter Marsh and other leading businessmen of Groton who realized the difficulties and inconveniences of conducting banking in another community. The original capital inscription was $100,000. The first year proved successful, resulting in stockholders receiving a dividend of 8% on the Bank's first anniversary.

In December 1868, the board voted to build a new bank on the corner of Main Street and Mill Street (West Cortland Street) where it stayed until 1972 when the present location at 161 Main Street was built.

In January 1896, The First National Bank elected Welthea Marsh as President, becoming one of the first women in the country to serve as a bank president.

Remodeled Bank building located on the corner of Main and Mill Streets During the Bank's first 50 years, Groton developed into a busy center of manufacturing and the Bank grew along with it. In 1916, The First National Bank of Groton acquired the Mechanics State Bank, which was housed in the building next door.

By 1943, deposits were well over $1 million and by 1961, total assets were $4.2 million. Large financial growth occurred during the 1970s and 1980s.

In 1984, The First National Bank of Groton acquired the Groton branch office of Empire Of America Of Buffalo. This branch had been The Groton Savings & Loan. Combined assets then became $29 million.

In 1999, the Bank opened its first branch office on South Main Street in Moravia. Both offices are committed to offering you quality customer service.

The Groton Office   The Moravia Office
Groton Office
 
Moravia Office
 
Top of Page  
   
    Each depositor insured to at least $100,000
    The First National Bank of Groton
P.O. Box 38, 161 Main Street, Groton, NY 13073 • 41 S. Main Street, Moravia, NY 13118
(607) 898-5871 • (315) 497-2707
Buzz: (607) 898-9700 • (315) 497-2200