New Fraud Prevention Service for Debit Cards
(In effect June 8, 2016)
In our continuing efforts to keep your accounts secure, we’ve improved our alert system for potential fraud. Here’s how it works:
- When potential fraud is detected, you will receive an automatic email notification, with the option to reply with “fraud” or “no fraud”. (E-mail option will not be in effect until mid-July.)
- One minute after the email, you will receive a text alert, which also has the “fraud” or “no fraud” option.
- If there is no response received, you will then receive automatic phone calls to confirm or deny fraud. The call will also give the option of speaking to a fraud analyst.
Remember, our messages will never ask for you PIN or account number.
The phone number for our Fraud Center has changed to 1-800-417-4592. If you add this number to your phone contacts and label “Fraud Center,” it will display on your phone whenever you get a call from this number.
Want added protection? Stop fraud in its tracks with
Did you know that identity theft is the fastest-growing crime in the United States? Many thieves these days have come to rely on the internet, telephones, and even your trash as a means of stealing your identity and your money.
That’s why we’re proud to introduce smsGuardian, a new, free service available to our customers.* If you enroll, the following types of transactions will trigger a text message alert. These transaction types are based on a set of criteria selected by The First National Bank of Groton. They do not necessarily mean that your card has been used fraudulently, but you will receive a message each time these types of transactions occur:
- Purchase is greater than $300
- International Transactions – Card is used out of the country
- Card not present – Card is used, but not swiped (online purchases)
- Card is used more than 5 times within a 24-hour period
- Card is declined
If a transaction is legitimate, you can simply ignore the message. If you do not reply to the text message within 12 hours, the transaction is considered legitimate and no further action will occur.
If the transaction is fraudulent, you can reply to the smsGuardian text with the code that you received and your debit card will be blocked from further use. This added layer of security enables fraudulent activity to be identified and stopped immediately, which significantly reduces the likelihood that subsequent unauthorized transactions will occur.
- Click the “Sign Up Now” button below to enroll
- Enter a valid card number followed by the enrollment authentication criteria for the card.
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Setup a “Do not Disturb” window in the Preferences/View Preferences tab.
- To enroll a device, go to the Device/Create Device tab (Note: up to two devices can be added per card).
- Enter the 10-digit mobile device number and click “Submit.”
- Send the required message provided on the screen to 27576.
- The message you receive will include instructions on how to reply if the transaction was unauthorized.
Enrollment lasts for one year – at the end of one year, you will receive a text to re-enroll. You may discontinue the receipt of Alerts immediately by texting the word STOP in reply to a Guardian Alert.
*Message and data rates may apply.